Saturday, May 28, 2011

Garden

Last summer we joined a community garden. The first crop of veggies, mostly tomatoes and beets, wasn't so great. Well, the beets were pretty good. Anyway, we've since learned a lot about gardening, and new crops of tomatoes, lettuce, eggplant, garlic, parsley, thyme and beets are looking good. Problem is, gardening is expensive, something I never realized. When you finish with mulch, stakes, plant food, etc., each veggie ends up costing a lot!  It's great to see the new life springing up in the garden, but we gotta figure out how to keep the costs manageable. I think 10 bucks a tomatoe is kinda pricey!

2 comments:

  1. You should factor in fun, exercise, and satisfaction to your equation. It will get cheaper once you have built the soil up. Also, it's cheaper if you plant from seeds, rather than seedlings. Other tip, try not to buy things like mulch. In the Fall, save your fallen leaves and use them to mulch. BTW, Cucumbers are pretty easy to grow and you end up with more than you'll need all summer. I wanted to plan this summer, but I have had too much homework!!!!! Humph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What makes gardening expensive? In case someone has land it is rather the cheapest way to grow vegetables and lovely way to plant the flowering plants like petunia, penzy,and geranium.

    ReplyDelete