Friday, May 20, 2011

A Job Offer

A couple months ago I started applying to private language schools for teaching jobs so I could get some experience. I got two call-backs. When I went on the interviews, I was told that I didn't have enough (make that any!) experience. I don't know why the interviewers had me come in since it was clear from my resume that was the case. Anyhow, last weekend I got a call from one of the schools. They offered me a job teaching accent reduction. I didn't see THAT coming! Is that phonology? I couldn't take the job because I'd already accepted something else (outside of teaching). I was very encouraged, though, about someday being able to  get a teaching job. By the way, is accent reduction a good thing?

5 comments:

  1. It is depends what that private language school intention is. It could be be a good thing if all their students want to become fluent native speaker without any accent. But for me I do not think I would be comfortable if someone force me to give up my accent simply because of my background. I personally believe that our accent defines who we are, we are supposed to feel comfortable with our own skin, culture, knowledge and identity. It is a personal choice through since people make their own judgment about life. However, if this country one day have a policy that all people must speak standard English ( native a like), it could be difficult for non-native speakers to find jobs. Since this country is consists of multicultural, I think people should embrace their language by not give up on their own beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started looking at the list of ESL classes offered for adults at the school district where I teach. There is an accent reduction course that is offered in the evening to help adults improve their pronunciation of English. I think that adults will have no problem with the input aspect of the course. When it comes to the language production, I'm afraid that adults are fossilized.

    I saw a commercial about phonics, which improves reading comprehension. I wonder if it works at all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not really sure if there is such a thing. I am taking a linguistic class, super interesting, and we are covering phonology. I came to the United States when I was twelve years old, and I wish my teachers would cover phonology. I have learned by listening to others and by making mistakes. So far, I still have an accent and I embrace it. I believe it's part of me and it defines me. According to my professor, studies have shown that people who learn a new language after the age of twelve have greater chances to have an accent. Perhaps, a class of phonology would be better than a class for accent reduction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think intelligibility is the most important thing. If someone pronounces well enough to be understood, and communication is the goal, then as a teacher, I'm fine. If a student has such a marked accent that either they can't be understood, or it takes too much effort on the part of the listener, I would encourage them to work toward intelligibility. I don't want my students to encounter prejudice because of a pronounced accent. Even adults can refine their pronunciation, in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always thought that language is not a barometer of intelligence, now after Arnold, I am second guessing that.

    ReplyDelete