Thursday, May 5, 2011
The Future of ESL Teaching Jobs
I joined CATESOL about a week ago along with a couple user groups. There's a thread from one of the groups commenting on budget cuts made at community colleges. Reports are that the cuts at some schools are at 30 percent for Fall 2011 ESL courses while transfer courses are basically continuing with little or no reductions ... or in some cases added sections. Plus, some are reporting that Adult ESL is experiencing very tough times with high cuts or being phased out altogether. I worry a lot (even before this news) that after all the time and money spent on my education that I won't be able to find teaching work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree we are going through a low in education. Teachers are being dismissed from their jobs. It is competitive out there with so many teachers looking for jobs. I also hope that my T.E.S.O.L. degree will help me to be more desirable for employers.
ReplyDeleteIt is tough this days since we all have to compete job with many others who also majored in TESOL. Meanwhile, we should work hard and have face in ourselves. If we have faith in ourselves, we will make our dream come true and become wonderful teacher regardless the budget cuts. Education has been hard for us all but it is up to us to bring hopes to others by inspire people to believe they will do wonderful things once they attain a degree. There is hope we may need to look a little hard or spend more time find good resources (computer links, job website and so on) that guide us to the right direction.
ReplyDeleteOrange, I agree. It's very important for everyone to be calm in hard times. If you listen to news about cuts and layouts, you will soon become discouraged and start to believe that you won't find a job. Don't listen to doom and gloom. We all need to refuse to believe it. Don't worry! If you are flexible and sincere, you will find work!!!!!! Education is never a waste of time.
ReplyDeleteUndoubtedly, it is a matter of concern but I think one should not be discouraged and pessimistic about the English language teaching profession.It is possible to learn and improve one's skill so much that you can be unbeatable.And the competency and talent always prevails.Be optimistic.
ReplyDeleteAgree w Afridi, one must really keep working on our craft to better serve others. At the end the skill will set us apart.
ReplyDeleteRemain flexible, sincere, optimistic and hopeful. Good advice. Thank you. I'll try to remember that.
ReplyDelete